Make Your Spring Picnic Betta with Mezzetta!
Spring is, hands down, my favorite time of year! Not too hot, not too cold, the sun is up longer, and all the beauties of nature are on full display. I also love spring because it has the perfect weather to grab a large blanket, some friends or family and pack yourself the perfect picnic!
Here are my tips and tricks to help you create the perfect picnic:
- Of course, you will want to bring a nice, large blanket to serve as your picnic space, but it also doesn’t hurt to bring a few pillows or outdoor folding chairs for more comfortable seating.
- A small cooler for cold beverages and perishable foods is essential, however there is something nostalgic about a classic picnic basket.
- With your cooler include your beverage of choice, there is nothing better than a nice bottle of crisp Rosé on a nice spring afternoon! Be sure to pack outdoor drinkware, and don’t forget a wine opener.
- Whatever you bring, make sure that everything is re-useable and light weight. This makes impromptu picnics easy, and the re-useable containers make your outing eco-friendly.
- Sandwiches are the perfect picnic food because they can contain whatever you want! All you have to do is add the right ingredients, vibrant and flavorful toppings, and you can easily turn two pieces of bread into something that everybody will want to get their hands on. See below for some amazing sandwich suggestions!
- In case you aren't feeling like eating a sandwich, pack a few snacks in your basket. One thing that I like to do is pack all the fixings for a tiny charcuterie board! A small cutting board, 1 package of your favorite salumi, 2 or 3 sample sizes of your favorite cheeses, some crackers, and a convenient jar of any of our Mezzetta® olives can really go a long way. Check out this video here for inspiration!
- It’s all about atmosphere! Find a nice, quiet location, whether it be in a park, on a riverfront, in the woods or even in your own backyard. Set your picnic up under a shady tree and enjoy the nice weather and the ambiance around you!
- Bring entertainment! A Bluetooth or wireless speaker is great for some background music, but also bringing a deck of cards, a frisbee or a football to toss around can really make your day in the park a memorable one!
Here are a few tried and true sandwich recipes that I love to bring with me on a picnic:
Make this as one long sandwich on a fresh French baguette, pack with delicious Mezzetta® products, and cut into individual portions and enjoy on an amazing picnic in the Napa Valley—or your favorite picnic destination!
A salad and a sandwich all in one! Rich, savory salumi, is mixed with crispy iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and onions, tossed in red wine vinegar and olive oil, and topped with pickles. Add in our spicy cherry peppers, peperoncini and Italian Olive Salad, and pile it onto an Italian hoagie roll, and you have the perfect sandwich! Ideal for picnics or a quick, hearty lunch.
Originating in New Orleans in the 1900’s, this classic sandwich traditionally consists of sturdy Italian bread, sharp and zesty olive salad, and layers of Italian cold cuts and cheese. Impressive in size and appearance, and unique in flavor, it’s the perfect sandwich for a hearty lunch or picnic.
This recipe is courtesy of Jennifer Zuk, winner of our 2011 Mezzetta® Make That Sandwich Contest. We loved this sandwich because of the juxtaposition of the sweet strawberries and the salty Kalamata olives. The combination of creamy goat cheese and spicy peperoncini is equally wonderful. A visually stunning sandwich that is great for brunch. Enjoy it with a fine glass of California sparkling wine!
Fresh air, sunshine, delicious food, and great company make for a combination that is truly hard to beat! Keep it simple, get outside this spring and have yourself the perfect picnic with some delicious Mezzetta® recipes!