Chef Andrew’s Italian Hero
A salad and a sandwich all in one! Rich, savory salumi, is mixed with crispy iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and onions, tossed in red wine vinegar and olive oil, and topped with pickles. Add in our spicy cherry peppers, pepperoncini and Italian Olive Salad, and pile it onto an Italian hoagie roll, and you have the perfect sandwich! Ideal for picnics or a quick, hearty lunch.
- 1 (10-12 inch) Italian sub roll, halved lengthwise
- 2 ounces Genoa Salami
- 2 ounces Mortadella
- 2 ounces Prosciutto di Parma
- 2 ounces Provolone Cheese
- 1/2 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- 5 thin slices of white onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Italian Olive Salad & Sandwich Spread
- 1/4 cup Sliced Hot Cherry Peppers drained
- 1/4 cup Sliced Golden Greek Peperoncini drained
- 2 sandwich sliced dill pickles
- On the bottom half of the sub roll, layer the salami, mortadella, prosciutto and provolone. Top with the finely shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced white onion and liberally drizzle the olive oil and red wine vinegar all over the lettuce, tomato and onion. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and Mezzetta® Italian Olive Salad and Sandwich Spread and stir together to incorporate. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top half of the sub roll and add the Mezzetta® Sliced Hot Cherry Peppers, Mezzetta® Sliced Golden Greek Peperoncini and pickles.
- Combine the two halves together, press down slightly and slice the sandwich in half crosswise. Serve immediately.