Mezzetta® Style Smash Burgers
Smash burgers have become all the rage, so we just had to make our own! Thin beef patties are given a crispy caramelized crust and topped with a Mezzetta “secret sauce” and all the fixings! Easy and delicious, any day of the week.
- Burger Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Bell Pepper Zesty Relish
- 1 tablespoon diced Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Smash Burgers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion halved lengthwise and sliced in half moons
- 1/2 cup lager beer or any beer or your choice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb. (80/20) ground beef
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 brioche or potato buns toasted
- Torn romaine lettuce leaves for serving
- Sliced tomato for serving
- Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers for serving
- Add all the ingredients for the burger sauce to a small bowl and whisk together to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until browned and caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and carefully add in the beer. Cook until all of the liquid has evaporated and the onions are caramelized, about 4 minutes.
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. Season the beef liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Brush the oil around the pan with a paper towel and allow the pan to heat for 2-3 minutes until smoking hot.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the burgers, two at a time, and firmly press down each burger with a stiff metal spatula or the bottom of a heavy sauce pot until the patties are roughly 4 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Allow the patties to cook, undisturbed, for about 1 ½ - 2 minutes until a deep brown crust has formed.
- Use the spatula to scrape up the burger patty, flip, and add a slice of cheese to each burger. Cook for an additional 30 seconds or until the cheese has melted. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and repeat this process with the remaining burger meat.
- Spread a generous spoonful of burger sauce on both the top and bottom section of each burger bun. On the bottom bun, add the lettuce, tomato, beer braised onions and Mezzetta® Sliced Tamed Jalapeños. Add the burger patties and finish by adding the top portion of the bun. Serve immediately.