Chimichurri Steak Tacos
This easy steak taco recipe is made even more delicious with a homemade jalapeño chimichurri sauce! These tacos are loaded with juicy, spice-rubbed steak, avocado, cotija cheese, pickled onions and jalapeños. Perfect for a cookout, or a quick and tasty weeknight dinner!
- Marinated Onions
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers *
- 1 tablespoon Imported Non-Pareil Capers drained
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ lbs skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- Sliced avocado
- Crumbled cotija cheese, to garnish
- Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers * to garnish
- Hot Chili Peppers for serving
- In a medium bowl, toss the sliced onion with the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Set aside and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- To a food processor, add the Mezzetta® Sliced Tamed Jalapeños, Mezzetta® Imported Non-Pareil Capers, parsley, cilantro, garlic and salt and pepper. Pulse a few times until the ingredients are combined and slowly, with the processor running, stream in the olive oil until a sauce has formed. Transfer to a bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
- To a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano and cumin.
- Season both sides of the steak liberally with the spice mixture and add the avocado oil to a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the steak to the pan or grill and sear for 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. The internal temperature of the steak should register at 135°F. Transfer the steak to a cutting board to rest while you build your tacos.
- Arrange the warmed corn tortillas on a serving platter and add a few slices of avocado. Thinly slice the steak at an angle against the grain of the meat and add a few slices to each taco.
- Top each taco with a spoonful of the jalapeño chimichurri, crumbled cotija cheese, a few Mezzetta® Sliced Tamed Jalapeños, marinated red onions and serve with Mezzetta® Hot Chili Peppers on the side.