Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches
3 hours 25 minutes
Hearty beef roast is seasoned in red wine, garlic, and herbs and served with our Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips, and Mezzetta® Hot Chicago Style Giardiniera. It’s a hearty sandwich that is sure to satisfy!
- 1 (3-4lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 8 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine such as cabernet sauvignon
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 spring fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 french rolls toasted for serving
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers for serving
- Hot Chicago Style Giardiniera Sandwich Mix * for serving
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Season the chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper and heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chuck roast and sear on all sides until golden brown and caramelized, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to roast to a clean plate and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the onions and additional salt and pepper to the pan and cook until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Carefully pour in the red wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 6-7 minutes. Add in the stock, rosemary and bay leaf and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Return the beef to the pan along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate, cover and transfer the pot to the oven to cook undisturbed for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove the lid from the pot and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the chuck roast from the pot and strain the cooking liquid into a large bowl to remove any solids. Return the liquid to the pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
- Once the beef is cool enough, thinly slice the roast. It should be pull apart tender.
- To assemble the sandwich, rub the inside of each toasted roll with a little bit of Mezzetta® Hot Chicago Style Giardiniera oil, add the beef and top with a few Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and a generous spoonful of Mezzetta® Hot Chicago Style Giardiniera. Dip the entire sandwich in the au jus and serve with extra au jus on the side.
*For less heat, use our Mezzetta® Mild Chicago Style Giardiniera.