Spicy Eggplant Roll-Ups
1 hour 10 minutes
Perfect for a special weekend meal, these vegetarian eggplant roll-ups are well worth the extra effort. Savory and delicious, this dish is sure to become a favorite of vegetarians and meat eaters alike!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise into 16 (1/4 inch) slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 cups whole milk ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons Imported Non-Pareil Capers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella divided
- 2 cups Artisan Ingredients® Spicy Italian Plum Tomato Marinara
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Divide the olive oil between two rimmed baking sheets. Add 8 slices of eggplant to each baking sheet, turning to evenly coat in oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the eggplant to the oven to bake until softened and slightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the oven to cool slightly and reduce the oven temperature to 400°F.
- While the eggplant cools, add the eggs, ricotta, chopped fresh basil, chopped fresh oregano, ½ cup shredded mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste to a medium bowl and mix to fully combine.
- Add 1 cup of Artisan Ingredients® Spicy Italian Plum Tomato Marinara to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture to one end of each slice of eggplant and tightly roll it up. Transfer to the baking dish with the sauce and repeat with the remaining eggplant and ricotta mixture, making 2 rows of 8.
- Cover the eggplant rollatini with the remaining sauce and mozzarella.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.