Jalapeño Brined Fried Chicken Sandwiches
25 minutes, plus overnight marinating
Jalapeño brining keeps the chicken moist and spicy on the inside, while the buttermilk breading makes it extra crunchy on the outside. Top this off with a tangy pickled red onion slaw and you have a memorable sandwich to fry up and impress everyone you know!
- Zesty Jalapeño Sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers drained and diced*
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- Fried Chicken
- 1/2 cup Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers brine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 6 cups canola oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more for finishing
- 1.5 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup Pickled Red Onions drained
- 4 brioche buns toasted
- Make the sauce: Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the chicken sandwich: To a blender, add the Mezzetta® Sliced Tamed Jalapeños and brine and blend until smooth.
- In a large resealable bag, add the chicken, buttermilk, and the blended jalapeño mixture and place in the refrigerator to brine for at least 8 hours up to 24 hours.
- Once the chicken has brined, heat the oil to 350°F** in a heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the flour, cornstarch and salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk together to combine. Add the chicken thighs, 1-2 at a time from the buttermilk marinade into the flour mixture and toss to fully coat, using your hands to press the flour mixture onto the chicken.
- Add the chicken to the oil and cook, in batches, until golden brown and crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 8 minutes. The oil temperature will drop once the chicken is added so adjust the heat on the stove as needed. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- In a medium bowl, add the shredded cabbage and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Using your hands, scrunch the cabbage until its tender and releases some of its liquid. Add the Mezzetta® Pickled Red Onions and a little bit of the juice from the jar and toss to combine.
- Add a spoonful of the zesty jalapeno sauce to both halves of the toasted brioche bun and add 3-4 Mezzetta® Sliced Tamed Jalapeños to the bottom half of the bun. Add a piece of fried chicken and top with a handful of the cabbage mixture. Add the top half of the bun and serve. Repeat this process with the remaining fried chicken thighs and buns.
*For more heat, use our Mezzetta® Sliced Hot Jalapeños!
**The best way to regulate the temperature of the oil is to use a candy or oil thermometer.