Fried Spanish Olives with Romesco Sauce
Crispy, briny olives dipped in a smoky red pepper romesco sauce is the perfect combination and an excellent appetizer to serve for the holidays, dinner parties or to snack on while watching the big game!
- Beer Battered Spanish Olives
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for finishing
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle lager-style beer
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 (16 ounce) jar Super Colossal Spanish Queen Olives Pimiento Stuffed drained and patted dry
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Romesco Sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Roasted Red Bell Peppers drained
- 1/4 cup Sun-Ripened Dried Tomatoes Sulfite Free drained
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in a deep, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat until the temperature reaches 375°F*.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and slowly whisk in the beer until smooth. Add the lemon zest and stir just to combine.
- Dip the Mezzetta Super Colossal Spanish Queen Olives into the batter and allow any excess to drip back into the bowl. Fry the artichoke hearts, in batches, until crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the olives to a paper towel lined plates and sprinkle additional kosher salt. Repeat this process with the remaining olives.
- To make the romesco sauce, add all of the ingredients to a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve alongside the beer battered olives for dipping and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley to garnish.