Sides & Snacks
Fritto Misto with Red Pepper Aioli
Every culture does fried food, but we believe that the Italians do it exceptionally well. This crispy appetizer is the perfect thing to feed hungry guests while you make the rest of your meal. Customize it to make it your own and serve it with our flavor-packed Red Pepper Aioli sauce, that is perfect for dipping.
- Fritto Misto
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup tempura batter mix
- 1 cup ice cold sparkling water
- 1 small lemon thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 1 cup of your favorite pitted Mezzetta® olives
- 1 cup Marinated Artichoke Hearts drained
- 1 small bulb fennel cored and sliced
- 1/2 lb calamari, rings and tentacles
- Red Pepper Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Roasted Red Bell Peppers drained
- 1 small garlic clove grated
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Fritto Misto:
- In a high walled skillet, add about 3 inches of oil and heat to 375°F.
- Add the tempura mix to a small bowl and whisk in sparkling water until batter is smooth. Set bowl into a large bowl filled with ice to keep the batter cold. Working in batches, dredge the lemon slices in the batter, shake off any excess, and place carefully into the hot oil and fry until golden in color, remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined sheet pan.
- Repeat the process for the Mezzetta® Olives, Mezzetta® Marinated Artichoke Hearts, fennel and calamari until everything is fried. Season everything with a little sprinkle of salt when removing from the frying oil.
For the Aioli Dipping Sauce:
- Place all aioli ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place into a serving bowl.
- Place fritto misto on a serving platter and serve with aioli.
Feel free to add any additional seafood you’d like!