Breakfast & Brunch
Shakshuka (Eggs Baked in Sauce)
Our Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and Family Recipes Roasted Garlic Sauce enrichen this popular, savory dish that originates from the Middle East and North Africa. It’s a delicious combination of runny eggs, simmered tomatoes and fragrant spices, perfect for brunch or lunch any time of the year.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips drained
- 1 jar Family Recipes Roasted Garlic Sauce
- 5 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
- Crusty bread for serving
- Good with Mediterranean Roasted Red Peppers Hot Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Stir in the cumin and paprika and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add in the Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips and Mezzetta® Family Recipes Roasted Garlic Sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Make 5 small wells in the sauce and gently crack eggs into each well*. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with feta cheese. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until eggs are just set, roughly 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, parsley and Mezzetta® Mediterranean Roasted Red Peppers Hot Sauce and serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.
For ease of execution, crack the egg into a small bowl before placing into the sauce.