Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions
Saucy sausage hoagies smothered in peppers and onions are a staple at every Italian American street fair! We’ve found a way to make them in this easy one pot recipe, so that now they can be a staple on your weekly dinner table too!
- 2 tablespoons extra vigin olive oil
- 2 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion peeled, halved and sliced into 1/4" slices
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips drained
- 1/3 cup Sliced Hot Cherry Peppers
- 1/4 cup Golden Greek Peperoncini sliced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Artisan Ingredients® Whole Garlic & Sweet Basil Marinara OR Family Recipes Tomato Basil Marinara
- Hoagie rolls for servings
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven safe skillet* over medium-high heat and brown the sausage on each side, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer the sausages to a clean plate.
- Add the onions to the skillet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the Mezzetta® Sliced Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips, Mezzetta® Sliced Hot Cherry Peppers and Mezzetta® Golden Greek Peperoncini. Pour in the Mezzetta® Regional Recipes Whole Garlic & Sweet Basil Marinara, nestle the sausage back into the skillet and transfer to the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes until the onions are soft and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve the sausage, peppers and onions in a hoagie roll with a generous spoonful of sauce.
* If you do not have a large oven safe skillet, you can cook everything in a large skillet and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish before placing in the oven.
** MAKE AHEAD: To make ahead, brown the sausages according to the recipe and place everything in a slow cooker over high heat for 4 hours until the vegetables are soft and the sausages are cooked through.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.