Mediterranean Grilled Cheese with Roasted Red Pepper Soup
An elevated spin on a childhood favorite that is perfect for the whole family! Add your favorite Mezzetta® products to make your grilled cheese sandwich really stand out, and enjoy!
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (15oz) jar Roasted Red Bell Peppers drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese
- 4 (1/2" thick) slices of nice bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Sliced Golden Greek Peperoncini
- 2 tablespoons Sliced Greek Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 cup loosely packed spinach
- Make the roasted red pepper soup: In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, and the garlic is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Peppers, broth and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and, either transferring to a standard blender or using an immersion stick blender, puree until completely smooth. Keep the soup warm while you make the grilled cheese.
- Make the grilled cheese: Butter the outside slices of the bread with the room temperature butter. Next, add a slice of mozzarella. Top with the 2 tablespoons Mezzetta® Sliced Golden Greek Peperoncini, 1 tablespoon Mezzetta® Sliced Greek Kalamata Olives and ¼ cup loosely packed spinach. Add another slice of mozzarella cheese on top of the spinach and close the sandwich with the other slice of bread.
- In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, cook the grilled cheese on each side until lightly browned and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve alongside the roasted red pepper soup.