Sides & Snacks
Truffle Porcini Arancini
What’s better than creamy risotto? Creamy risotto that is made with Artisan Ingredients® Truffle, Porcini and Cream Marinara, stuffed with cheese, rolled into balls, breaded and fried to perfection! Simply irresistible.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 Cup Artisan Ingredients® Truffle, Porcini & Cream Marinara plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese cut into 18 (1/2 inch) cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 6 cups canola oil for frying
- To a small sauce pot, add the chicken or vegetable stock, bring to a simmer over medium heat then reduce the heat to low to keep warm.
- In a large high walled skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant, and the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the wine and allow to cook until almost entirely evaporated, about 1 minute more.
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour in the Artisan Ingredients® Truffle, Porcini and Cream Marinara and 2 cups of the warmed stock and allow to simmer until the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups of stock and continue to cook for 10-15 more minutes until the liquid is dissolved and the rice is tender. Fold in the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully spread the risotto out onto a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the refrigerator to cool and solidify for 1 to 2 hours.
- Once cooled, carefully scoop 2 tablespoons of risotto into your hands and press together until a ball is formed. Place a piece of mozzarella cheese into the center and roll the risotto into a ball around the cheese. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and continue with the remaining risotto and cheese. Place the tray in the freezer for 10 minutes while you set up your dredging station.
- Set up a station with 3 shallow bowls. Add the flour to one, the beaten eggs to another and the panko breadcrumbs to the final bowl. Season all three bowls with salt and pepper to taste.
- Working one at a time, dredge the balls in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer to the bowl with the eggs, turning to coat and then finally into the bowl with breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Return to the lined baking sheet while you make the rest of the arancini. Place the tray back into the freezer while you heat your oil.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat to 350°F using an oil or candy thermometer.
- Once the oil has reached the proper temperature, carefully fry the rice balls in batches of 4 or 5 and cook until deep golden brown and warmed through, about 5-6 minutes. Remove the rice balls from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate while you fry off the remaining rice balls.
- Serve on a large platter with warmed Artisan Ingredients® Truffle Porcini and Cream Marinara for serving.