Plant Based Chili
This easy and versatile chili is 100 percent vegan and flavor packed thanks to our Roasted Red Bell Peppers and our Spicy Italian Plum Tomato Marinara! An amazing blend of spices and a plant-based meat alternative round out this chili that you can serve on its own or use as a topper for chili cheese fries or a plant-based chili dog!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. plant-based meat alternative, such as Beyond®
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Artisan Ingredients® Spicy Italian Plum Tomato Marinara
- Suggested Toppings
- Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeño Peppers or Hot Jalapeños
- California Hot Sauce
- Vegan cheddar cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced scallions
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the diced Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Peppers and garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground plant-based meat alternative and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon into smaller chunks until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, spices and salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and the jar of Mezzetta® Spicy Italian Plum Tomato Marinara and stir everything to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low to simmer. Simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with your favorite chili toppings.