- 2 Tbsp. Mezzetta® Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 1 c. celery, small diced
- 1 Tbsp. Mezzetta® Crushed Garlic
- 1 lb. Pork tenderloin cut in 1” cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 5 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar Mezzetta® Mild Fire-Roasted Green Chili Peppers, drained
- 30 oz. hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 sprigs cilantro + ¼ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 c. crispy tortilla strips or crumbled tortilla chips
- Crumbled Cotija cheese for garnish
- Optional: Mezzetta® California Hot Sauce
In a medium size stock pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. When hot, add onion and celery to pot. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Raise heat to medium-high. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Add pork cubes to stock pot and cook until pork is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
Sprinkle in cumin and stir to mix. The chicken broth can now be added with the chili peppers, hominy and a few sprigs of cilantro. Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours. Use a small ladle or soup spoon to degrease the soup occasionally during its cooking process. If the soup is too thick, more chicken stock or water can be added to thin it out.
Serve hot with fresh diced avocado, cotija cheese, crispy tortilla chips and hot sauce.