- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp Mezzetta® Regional Recipes Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 slices rustic-style white bread
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Mezzetta® Julienne Cut Sun-Ripened Dried Tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbspMezzetta® Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives, chopped
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 slices fontina cheese
Combine butter, oil and salt in a small bowl.
Combine Mezzetta® Regional Recipes Pizza Sauce and basil in a separate small bowl.
Heat 1 large non-stick skillet over medium heat. For each sandwich, spoon an equal amount of sauce mixture over the center of each slice; spread evenly. Place mozzarella slices over sauce mixture; arrange Mezzetta® Julienne Cut Sun-Ripened Dried Tomatoes and Mezzetta® Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives over each layer of mozzarella. Sprinkle each with Parmesan; top with a slice of fontina and the top slice of bread. Spread butter mixture on outside of sandwich.
Cook 2 to 3 minutes; or until bottoms are golden, pressing each sandwich firmly with a spatula. Turn sandwiches and press each again with a spatula. Continue to cook until bottoms are golden and cheeses are melted. Also can be cooked in a panini press.
Chef's Notes: For a comforting meal, serve with tomato soup.
Make That Sandwich 2012 Finalist, Vegetarian Category