- Olive Salad:
- 1/2 cup Mezzetta® Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta® Super Colossal Spanish Queen Olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup Mezzetta® Italian Mix Giardiniera, drained and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf round Italian bread, hollowed out
- Cheese, Meats and Garnishes:
- 6 oz provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 oz capicola, thinly sliced
- 2 oz Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 2 oz ham, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- romaine lettuce
Finely chop the Mezzetta® Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives, Mezzetta® Super Colossal Spanish Queen Olives, Mezzetta® Italian Mix Giardiniera, parsley and garlic for the olive salad. Combine all salad ingredients; set aside.
Cut the loaf of bread in half crosswise. Use a small, serrated knife to score the inside of both halves about 1" from the crust. Hollow the bread halves by pulling out the insides with your hands. Leave shells about 1" thick. Save the bread chunks for other uses.
Spoon salad into bottom half of loaf. Layer 2 oz cheese over the salad. Top with one type of meat; repeat.
Finish layering with last of the cheese and meat. Top with tomato and lettuce.
Use an electric knife to cut the sandwich into four wedges. If you don't have one, use a very sharp serrated knife. Just saw carefully and don't press too hard or you might squish the entire filling out.
Muffulettas can be served hot or cold. To heat, wrap the uncut Muffulettas in a large piece of foil. Place the wrapped sandwich on a sheet pan and warm it in a 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Carefully remove the foil, add lettuce, and cut the sandwich into wedges.