- 1 large Fuji apple
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12 - 15 Mezzetta® Sun Ripened Dried Tomatoes, drain and reserve oil
- 1 loaf Ciabatta bread, sliced in half horizontally
- 3 Tbsp Mezzetta® Basil Pesto
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella, drained and sliced 1/8"
- 4 slices smoked provolone
- 4 Tbsp gorgonzola, crumbled
- ¼ cup precooked smoked bacon crumbles
- 2 cup spring leaf lettuce mix
- 4 Mezzetta® Sweet Cherry Peppers, for garnish
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup Fuji apple vinaigrette sweet dressing
- (Note: If unavailable in your area, make your own by processing 1 Fuji apple with sweet and sour dressing in a food processor until smooth)
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Slice apples in 1/4 inch slices. Add lemon juice to apples to prevent oxidization.
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade attachment, process the sun dried tomatoes until it has the consistency of a pesto, adding some of the reserved oil if necessary to process.
Spread the basil pesto on the bottom half of the Ciabatta bread and the sun dried tomato pesto on the top half of the loaf. Add mozzarella to the top and bottom halves of the bread. On the bottom, start layering the slices of granny smiths and fuji apples, alternating. Next sprinkle bacon over apples. Add the provolone and gorgonzola. Place the sandwich in a 425°F oven for 5-7 min, open-faced, and melt the cheeses.
Remove from oven, drizzle with the Fuji dressing and top with a few leafy greens. Fold the two halves together and slice. Use toothpicks to attach cherry peppers to the top of sandwich. Best when served immediately, but this comfort sandwich is also great cold after it has been heated.
Alterations: leave out the bacon for a vegetarian treat.