- 8 ounces flank or flatiron steak
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 8 tortillas, warmed
- 1 lime, quartered
- Crumbled Cotija cheese
- Mezzetta Jalapeño Peppers, Hot or Tamed
- Pickled onions:
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Hot Cherry Peppers, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ cup Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Roasted Red Bell Peppers, squeezed dry with paper towels and chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Drizzle of Mezzetta California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
Prepare the ingredients:
Wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Chop the parsley and cilantro leaves. Cut stems off of 1/3 cup cherry peppers and chop. Peel and mince the garlic. Squeeze ½ cup of roasted red peppers dry with a paper towel and chop. Cut the lime into quarters. Peel, pit and slice the avocado. Squeeze one lime wedge over the avocado.
Make the pickled red onions:
Place red onion slices into a medium glass bowl. In a small pot, bring the vinegar, water, and sugar to a boil. Pour the boiling mixture into the bowl of onions and set aside to pickle.
Cook the steak:
Pat the steak dry with paper towels; season on both sides with salt and pepper. In a medium pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat until hot. Add the steak. Cook 4-5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate and let rest for about 7-10 minutes.
Make the chimichurri:
While the steak rests, in a bowl, combine the parsley, cilantro, hot cherry peppers, garlic, roasted red peppers and red wine vinegar. Drizzle with about two tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Warm the tortillas:
Wipe out the pan that the steak was cooked in. Heat pan on medium-high heat and warm each tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side.
To assemble the tacos:
Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Using two tortillas per taco, add a few slices of steak, pickled onions and avocado. Spoon some chimichurri on top and sprinkle with cotija cheese. Garnish with the jalapeño slices and lime wedges, and enjoy.