- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup tempura batter mix
- 3/4 cup ice cold sparkling water
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced with seeds removed
- 1 cup of your favorite pitted Mezzetta Olives, (we used Mezzetta Bleu Cheese Stuffed Olives)
- 1 jar Mezzetta Marinated Artichoke Hearts, drained
- 1 small head fennel, cut into thin strips about ¼ inch by 2 inches
- Optional aioli dipping sauce:
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup Mezzetta Roasted Bell Peppers, drained
- 1 small garlic clove
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
In a small sauce pan, add about 3 inches of oil and heat to 375° F.
Add tempura mix to a small bowl and whisk in sparkling water until batter is smooth. Set bowl into a large bowl filled with ice to keep the batter cold. Working in batches, dredge the lemon slices in the batter, shake off any excess, and place carefully into the hot oil and fry until golden in color, remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined sheet pan. Repeat the process for the olives, artichoke hearts, and fennel until everything is fried. Season the lemon, fennel and artichoke hearts with a little sprinkle of salt when removing from the frying oil.
Place all aioli ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place into a serving bowl.
Place fritto misto on a serving plate and serve with aioli.
Chefs Note: Feel free to add any seafood you’d like; shrimp or calamari would be delicious!