Pasta & Pizza
Za'atar Olive Focaccia
2 hours 45 minutes
We’ve given Italian Focaccia a Mediterranean twist using Za'atar spiced and Kalamata Olives. It’s perfect for dipping in olive oil or soaking up extra pasta sauce! We’re willing to bet that if you make this for your friends and family once, they’ll ask for it at every gathering.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water roughly 100-110°F*
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives
- 1 (10 ounce) jar Mediterranean Za'atar Olives drained
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Your favorite Mezzetta® pasta sauce warmed for serving
- In a large bowl, add the yeast and warm water*, stir gently, and allow to sit until the yeast has bloomed and is frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour and mix with a rubber spatula until a shaggy, but smooth dough forms and no loose flour is left in the bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bowl and turn the dough with the rubber spatula to coat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to proof on the counter for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Once proofed, transfer the dough to a 9x13 baking pan greased with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and, with oiled hands, press out the dough to fill the pan. Cover the pan with a clean kitchen towel and allow to proof for 1 more hour.
- During the last 30 minutes of proofing, preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Press the olives into the bread, drizzle all over with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with the flaky sea salt.
- Transfer the bread to the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before serving with warmed pasta sauce or extra virgin olive oil for dipping.
*To achieve the perfect water temperature for activating the yeast, combine ½ cup boiling water with 1 ½ cups cold water.