Roasted Red Pepper and Giardiniera Stuffing
1 hour 30 minutes
The stuffing or “dressing” is arguably one of the most iconic side dishes to any holiday table. We’ve taken ours up a notch by adding the sweet, roasted flavor of our Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Peppers and the crunchy texture and acidic bite of our Mezzetta® Italian Mix Giardiniera. Pair these with crusty bread, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs and you have yourself a new holiday staple!
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 14 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large yellow onions diced
- 5 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Roasted Red Bell Peppers drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup Italian Mix Giardiniera drained and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cut into parts
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubed bread with ¼ cup of olive oil and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Divide the bread between 2 standard baking sheets if a large one is not accessible. Transfer to the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until the bread is dried out and crispy.
- Heat the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil in a large skillet and add the garlic, onion and celery, and cook until the onions are translucent and the garlic fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped Mezzetta® Roasted Red Bell Peppers, chopped Mezzetta® Italian Mix Giardiniera, dried oregano and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the toasted bread cubes and broth mixture to a large bowl and toss together with the beaten eggs, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish and top with pats of butter. Cover with foil and place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
The stuffing can be made 1 day ahead. Follow the recipe until you reach step 7. Simply follow the remaining step of the recipe before serving.