- 1 15 oz. can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Mezzetta® Capote Capers
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 4 Tbsp Mezzetta® Crushed Garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp Mezzetta® California Habanero Hot Sauce
- 3/4 cup Tahini
- 1/2 cup Mezzetta® Roasted Bell Peppers, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 each pocket-less pita breads or flatbreads, warmed
- 2 cups Mezzetta® Italian Mix Giardiniera
- *Calculated ingredients may not always be as accurate as the original recipe.
Combine the first eight ingredients (Chickpeas to California Habanero Hot Sauce) in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are well incorporated, but not pureed. The mixture should be slightly grainy.
Divide into 16 equal portions and shape into balls, then flatten slightly. Hold chilled.
In a food processor or blender, pulse the tahini, Mezzetta® Roasted Bell Peppers and lemon juice until purèed. Transfer to a small bowl.
Heat the canola oil in a large non-stick skillet until medium hot. Carefully cook the chickpea cakes in batches, turning carefully once, until well browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Divide Mezzetta® Italian Mix Giardiniera equally among the 4 warm pita or flatbreads. Top each with 4 chickpea cakes and top with roasted pepper-tahini sauce.