- 1 package bucatini or spaghetti
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Mezzetta California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ pound thickly sliced pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1-16 oz. jar Mezzetta Italian Plum Tomato Marinara or (if you like it a bit spicier, Mezzetta Calabrian Chile Marinara)
- ½ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c. freshly grated Percorino or Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl, add olive oil and 1 tsp. salt and toss to combine. Set aside.
Place a large skillet over a high heat, and add the pancetta and sauté until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced red onion and sauté an additional three or four minutes to soften the onions.
Add the Mezzetta Marinara and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer 3-5 minutes to thicken the sauce slightly.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and gently mix to coat the pasta with sauce.
Divide the pasta among serving dishes and garnish with the cheese.
Note: If using bacon instead of pancetta remove the extra bacon fat before adding the chopped red onion.