- 2 tablespoons Mezzetta California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ yellow onion, small diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and small diced
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 jars Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (1 quart) low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes - drizzle with crème fraiche, Mezzetta California Olive Oil and sprinkle some chopped chives
In a large stockpot on medium high heat, add the olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are soft. Add the garlic, tomato paste and smoked paprika and cook another 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the roasted red peppers and chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
Next, puree the mixture using a hand emersion blender or a countertop blender. If using a countertop blender, in batches, carefully add the hot ingredients into the blender, vent the lid and cover the top of the blender lid with a kitchen towel. Start the blender on low and gradually increase the speed to high. Add the butter, heavy cream and vinegar and blend again, starting on low and gradually increasing the speed, until the soup becomes a light orange-red color and well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot with optional crème fraiche, olive oil, and chive garnishes.